Monday 15 February 2010

Introducing Mr Nuts


A quick post to show off my latest piece of work. It's not for sale, and is in the possession of a private collector, who is my biggest patron. Yes, well, alright. I'm talking about Mr Kitsch, and this is what I made him as a valentine's present.

We have so much fun watching Mr Nuts, the squirrel, in the garden, and all his furry friends, that I knew Mr K would love it if I made one. I'd been meaning to have a go at an amigurumi (cute little crochet animals) for ages. Couldn't find a suitable pattern, so I just did my own thing. Making the basic shape wasn't too difficult, but getting him to look like a cute squirrel was a lot harder. So in certain lights, he looks more like a cross between a cat and a koala, and an un-cute one to boot!

I have this nagging doubt that giving my loved one a soft toy on Valentine's Day gives the impression that I would quite like a teddy bear holding a big red heart embroidered with "I WUV YOU" or some other sickening message. I am not that person. Honestly.

5 comments:

menopausalmusing said...

Elaine, he is wonderful! He looks very much like a squirrel to me......

salty pebble said...

what a wonderful thing to make! sooooo cute! ;0)lucky mr kitch hey? hehe...lovely blog xx

Mermaids of the Lake said...

Oh, he is darling. I love squirrels. Lucky Mr. Kitch.

Mermaid Debbie

Space Cadet said...

Mr Nuts is indeed a wonderful thing and I will treasure him. I'm a very fortunate man and I know it.

Mr Kitsch (aka Space Monkey)

claire Maraldo said...

He is so cute!

and in a different league to a tacky teddy from Clinton's. Blee!