Wednesday 24 March 2010

Delightful Designs


Mostly pictures today, to show you my latest collecting obsession - vintage greeting cards. I've been collecting odd cards here and there for quite a while. At first I concentrated on the kitschy 1960s cards, but then I got some older ones and was just charmed by their sweet illustrations.


I've now bought a few large bundles of cards. The cards I'm showing you today come from the first bundle I bought, many of which are addressed to a little boy called Ian. A lot of them date from the early 1930s. I noticed that some, like the postcard of bunnies above, came to Ian from 'Diana', and a few had pictures of dogs. Then I saw the inside of this card, where a thoughtful relative had labelled the children 'Ian' and 'Diana', and the dog 'Timmy'. So now I have a picture of the brother and sister and their pet dog.

Some of the cards are just ridiculously cute...

Others are just very sweet. The crinoline ladies and cottage gardens appear very regularly in these old cards. I don't know why they were such a popular motif in the 1930s and 1940s, but you see them in embroideries and on biscuit tins as well. Mr Kitsch said they always make him think of the film 'Singin' in the Rain', where Jean Hagen, in powdered wig and huge dress, gratingly screeches "...and I cain't staind 'im!".

Well, now that's all I can think of too!

3 comments:

The Custards said...

How lovely to find you! I have been floundering in blog land not knowing how to find anybody or anything - is there a main search thingy anywhere. Thank you for your kind comments - I can now settle down for the evening and read through all of your blogs! I hope that there are lots of vintage festivities over the Easter break! Take care - Jenny

The Custards said...

Oh - I also meant to ask, how do you follow a blog, I cannot seem to find the right link and keep following myself (which, to be honest, is a bit weird!). Many thanks again - Jenny

Unknown said...

You should check out vintage advertising cards. There are some great sewing ones, I have collected hundreds by Singer co. They date from the late 1800's and forward a bit.