Monday 21 June 2010

Getting clogged up

I don't why, but just lately I can't seem to go out of the house without returning with a souvenir clog or two.
And when I say something like that, I know the vintage thing is possibly... getting out of hand?
But new obsessions keep gripping me. Right now, it's what I'm calling 'Chalet Chic' - a particular kind of folk art style that encompasses clogs, cuckoo clocks, Russian dolls, gingham aprons, Heidi and reindeer. And in this particular photo, a llama.
The llama is typical of the way that things have a habit of creeping into the house unexpectedly. I didn't know I wanted a souvenir llama until I saw his little furry face winking up at me from a box under someone's stall on Saturday. In fact, all these little knick-knacks I got at car boot sales over the weekend were unexpectedly essential to buy.
I suppose some foolish people might think that going to five carboot sales on Saturday is asking for trouble (oh, and there was another one on Sunday....). But quite frankly these people are poor misguided souls who have no appreciation of the finer things in life.

I grant you, buying more vintage buttons might, on the face of it, seem a tad bonkers, but really you only have to look at how lovely they are to know that I'm perfectly justified in buying them and the lovely fabric they're sitting on. The fact that a lot of this stuff is still cluttering up the living room floor until I find a place for it, isn't a problem, surely? Just step over it, can't you?

8 comments:

VintageVicki said...

The little green flower buttons are gorgeous :)

Am sure theres a saying that goes ' One mans trash is another man treasure' ;)

menopausalmusing said...

Loved your description: "Chalet Chic"...... it totally epitomises your finds. Great buttons too.

TK said...

I was in Brixton market (south London) last weekend and found a small shop that sold (among other things) lovely old buttons on cards. Lucky for me, I was with a friend who could see the appeal and didn't think I was completely insane to get excited.

The Little Vintage Company said...

Beautiful buttons! And 5 carboots in a day! Sounds like total bliss!
Tamzin X

GardenOfDaisies said...

I like your growing cultural geography/ethnic collections! Very fun!!

Cowboys and Custard Mercantile said...

Now where exactly are these boot sales Elaine.
I never seem to find the treasures that others unearth on their Sunday rummages.

Fab stuff.. particularly love that house..

Michele x

The Thriftaholic (Leilani) said...

I love your idea of "Chalet Chic"... definitely encompasses some of my favorite things. When I first moved to Chicago I kept finding ceramic and wood clogs to buy too, it's odd how I find objects in waves or phases.

Loo xx from Jumbles and Pompoms said...

Loving the chalet chic. Do you think that "chalet chic" might encompass a tray featuring 2 blokes in glorious knitted jumpers sitting at a table sharing a fondu with flagons of beer amid a backdrop of what looks like the Swiss Alps? I was given the very thing for my birthday this w/end and I've just posted it on my blog if you want to look. It's truly marvellous!

Love your blog. I'm your newest follower!