Friday 20 April 2012

Jubilicious!

It's a funny old world, isn't it? A few weeks ago, I got an email out of the blue, asking to use my strange Silver Jubilee souvenirs in an exhibition in London to mark this year's Diamond Jubilee. It was all because of this blog post on my other blog.

I wasn't entirely sure about it. Did they think I was some sort of royal fanatic, with Prince William pillowcases and Union Jack sheets? Or that I spent my days with a lifesize cut-out of the Duke of Edinburgh and knitted corgis? But the organiser seemed to know where I was coming from, and it was going to be a fun and quirky exhibition, as part of the celebrations in Battersea Park.

Then this week, the emails really started flying. I was asked for some more photos for an article to promote the exhibition in The Evening Standard. It was supposed to appear today. I don't know if it did, but my can of Jubilade has now put in appearance on the Thames Diamond Jubilee Pageant website!
I was also asked various questions, and to send in a photo of myself posing with my royal collection! I'm afraid I was way too shy for that, and besides, my 'collection' is really just a few random bits of kitsch.

They are asking for more unusual or personal items of royal memorabilia, like craft projects etc., so if you have something you'd like to share, why not contact them?
21/4 Update: They have now put this story on the BBC website, with quotes from me!

 

4 comments:

The Thriftaholic (Leilani) said...

How fun! It's always exciting when institutions recognize our collections (no matter how small).

The Custards said...

Oooo - you are awful...but I like you...
Well done Elaine - knew all the collecting would reap rewards!

menopausalmusing said...

Fame at last! Brilliant post Elaine.

Lakota [Faith Hope and Charity Shopping] said...

I love the Jubilade!
I've been stalking all kinds of royal stuff for my jubilee charity swap, but that's definitely the coolest thing I've seen!